Read the Mother's Day Proclamation of Julia Ward Howe, the originator of the holiday. I'm planning to make copies of it to pass out on Mother's Day:
From the voice of a devastated Earth a voice goes up with
Our own. It says: "Disarm! Disarm!
The sword of murder is not the balance of justice."
Blood does not wipe our dishonor,
Nor violence indicate possession.
As men have often forsaken the plough and the anvil
At the summons of war,
Let women now leave all that may be left of home
For a great and earnest day of counsel.
Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the dead.
Let them solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means
Whereby the great human family can live in peace...
This weekend is all about me, right? Mom's special day. Thank you so much for thinking of me. Here I am, sitting up in bed, plumped up pillows all around me, eating breakfast from a tray table with a little vase holding a red rose. And you all want to shower me with gifts. You are so kind, really you are. So what does LAmom want for Mother's Day? I'm sure you'll think of something nice that will make me feel cherished . . .
- A racial truce in Los Angeles? Oh, that would be lovely!
- A moratorium on the death penalty? How thoughtful!
- Nuclear disarmament? Ooh, I've wanted one of those for as long as I can remember! I know there are a lot of newer gift ideas out there, but this one never goes out of style. It would be prized for generations to come.
- A plan for cleaning up the mess we've made in Iraq? Hmmm, the one you gave me last year isn't working that well. You can give me another one if you like, but what really needs to be addressed is your behavior problem. First, you need to apologize for making the mess and apologize for lying to Mommy, OK? When you're ready to talk, I'll be here.
- A culture of life? I've been hearing that that's the hot gift for this year, but there are some defective models on the market. Don't blow this! If you decide to get me one, do take some of my friends along when you go shopping.
See? I'm not so hard to please.
Happy Mother's Day to me and to all of the other moms out there. I hope you get something that's on your list.